blogger web statistics

Friday, July 31, 2009

Legooooo!

Yesterday was soooo cool. There's an exhibit at the Crown Center here in KC that features sculptures of various concepts.... in lego. YES! My kind of art! I trekked up after work and peered around the room with Kel, wondering at the magnitude of a feat that involves creating some 30-odd large sculptures of little squareish blocks.

Some of these pieces were larger than even me - an 8-foot tall pencil, a blue-colored mannequin putting a "broken arm" back together again (rebuilding would probably be a better phrase - think Humpty Dumpty), a person reaching for a mirror/through a portal.

These pieces looked fragile, and I wondered how much they weigh
ed. I even made the comment to Kel that these pieces HAD to be hollow - it'd just be so
much work and weight if they were solid. I think
I lost that bet - a green mannequin that was depicted as "taking off its own head" had a solid underside where the head was removed from the body. I have various pictures of the exhibit:


































































The artist is Nathan Sawaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment