blogger web statistics

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Life on the Spectrum

So, when I first saw the title of "Growing Up on the Spectrum (Amazon.com link)," I thought of two things:

"Spectrum? What is this, some kind of color or lights analogy?"

"Well, either that or they're talking about mallrats in Irvine..."

So it took someone who is a little more knowledgeable about this kind of thing to enlighten me - there is a range of psychological conditions classified under autism. I'm studying about this so I can learn more about a family member's challenges and support him in any way I can.

It makes me feel weird, in a way. My family considers me challenged because of my hearing loss. The odd thing is, I probably don't even give it a thought anymore, and am living my life like it has no impact on it. I'm capable of taking on my family's challenges. Even if my Dad's opinion of me is that I should be back in California under his watchful eye, I'm perfectly content to buck his wishes and continue the success I'm achieving today.

So, yeah, I'm going to learn more about Autism/Asperger's. And take some Japanese courses while I'm at it. Kanji characters are just so cool. ;-) I want to be able to go to Japan and at least read the signs while I'm there. Some people say New York has no comparison to Tokyo - Tokyo would be like NYC on steroids. This I gotta see!

Off to bed and a little light reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment