blogger web statistics

Thursday, July 23, 2009

SPDIAR!!!111

As I'm writing my blog, what should happen except a quite not-insignificantly sized spider starts crawling across my desk. Me= not a happy camper. Of course, it scoots away before I'm armed wtih the nearest destructive implement - a pad of post-it notes. My logical mind clearly knows that the likelihood of the beast biting me and doing any real damage to me, are quite small. However, meh, such creatures should NOT exist on this earth and I'll do my darnedest to rid us of them all!

(update - Wham! Got it!)

This morning, I'm thinking about some books that I picked up in the library yesterday - all three of them focus mostly on the topic of Asperger's syndrome. My younger brother has it and it's caused quite a bit a friction between us while living together. In many cases he just cannot deal with logical actions against irrational fears (coincedentially, like my dislike for spiders). For instance - one day, he would be all gung ho and run out and apply for jobs, taking rejection in stride, and coming home feeling good about what he did. Then the next time, his mind would absolutely freeze and get mad and he'd nearly have a nervous breakfown - because he did not want to socialize with anyone anymore. Or he'd come up with excuses as to why he couldn't start going to the gym and working out - citing too much time working (he's part time), being scared he'd be too tired to stand up at work, or that he'll have another fainting spell. Logic and rational discussion would not penetrate his skull - it was no no no all the way.

If I had not had my mom there at that discussion, I would have walked away thinking he was just a dumb, stubborn teenage-man-boy. My mom, bless her heart, had seen him do this enough times and was familiar with his syndrome and was able to at least, grudgingly, get him to agree to a plan of action.

If he's to continue living with me, I'll need to meet him halfway. So I'm willing to take the time to understand better about what he goes through and what techniques generally work. So, I've got about 900 pages of Autism-spectrum reading to go through... whee! Do I get college credit for this?

Books:

More than little professors: children with Asperger syndrome: in their own words
Growing up on the spectrum: a guide to life, love, and learning for teens and young adults with autism and Asperger's
Title: The oasis guide to Asperger syndrome: advice, support, insight, and inspiration

Anyone else have experience dealing with mental challenges?

No comments:

Post a Comment