blogger web statistics

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mainstream success in sports

I'm always heartened to hear when people with hearing loss are achieving their dreams in sports outside of the deaf community. The true litmus test of one's ability to be good at a sport is to complete against everyone who plays the sport, at the same level as everyone else. When Kenny Walker made it onto the Denver Broncos, that was a big deal to the deaf community, but I saw that as "wow, he's achieving his dream, hearing loss or not." I went to the first round of NCAA basketball championships back in March this year to watch my alma mater CSUN play against Memphis - coincidentally, freshman Michael Lizarraga was on the bench, ready to play in what I hope will be many more NCAA championship runs.

Today I'm heading out to catch a KU soccer game with a couple of buds. KU just happens to feature Emily Cressy, who apparently is kicking butt and winning games. So KU soccer just might go all the way this year! Come on, 'hawks!

On a side note, I caught an ASL film last night. It's made me compare my recent experiences watching films made by people with hearing loss. My friend Rhiannon created "When I'm not Alone" for her school project which was absolutely phenomenal. The ASL film, in comparison, cannot hold a candle to Rhi's documentary. But pretty much the entire audience at the ASL film loved the ASL film, the "best ever." I'm flabbergasted - am I really that high of a film buff, to see this flick and go "it really had glaring problems that prevented me from enjoying it."

Oh, well. I'm gonna put it behind me and go play some volleyball tonight! Woooo!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post :) After working with the Deaflympics, I've become more aware of various deaf athletes who are or have competed in mainstream athletics. Some Div. I athletes competed for the U.S. in the Deaflympics, but sadly others weren't allowed to by their coaches or schools. I believe Cressy was one of them, and at least one other, a Div. I swimmer. Sucks. But a runner did compete and broke the Deaf World Record in the 110m hurdles.

    There are some Deaflympians who have competed in the Olympics — check out American Jeff Float (in the 1970s) and South African Terence Parkin (in the 2000s).

    ReplyDelete