blogger web statistics

Monday, September 7, 2009

We.... are.... WYLD STALLYNS!

Growing up, I never was much musically inclined. It seemed like someone took my musical talents and gave 'em all to my older brother - he was the top tier trumpeter, the first chair, getting all the solos and accolates for marching band, jazz band, concerts, plays, what-have-you. I did try the piano for a year when I was in 3rd or 4th grade, but the notes never made sense to me. I just couldn't make much progress on reading a dang music sheet.

I did attempt to pick up drums when I was in middle school - got drum pads and drumsticks for my birthday one year, and did some thwacking in my room on some days, but when you get down to it, I really had no inspiration to lead me to believe I was making beautiful music. All I was doing was making a dull thump on some greyish pads with no accompanying tunes to suck me in. I abandoned that fairly quickly and pretty much swore off of playing instruments for the rest of my life.

Now, maybe it was because of my hearing that I didn't get anywhere with music - I didn't have a favorite song until high school, I never sang because I never learned the words of songs, and often I was forced to go to my older brother's band events - which bored the heck out of me.

This all sounds so negative. However, there is an upside to all of this. When I got my CI, I started, slowly, to appreciate music. Songs sounded... richer. sometimes I could pick out a word or two, but I needed to work at it. Then I started reading lyrics online and going "OH!" How could I have missed out on all of this? How did I avoid laughing my butt off to Weird Al Yankovic? How could I have misunderstand the true meaning behind "When I Come Around?"

Now I'm ravenous about looking for new music and new sounds - and along comes along Guitar Hero 5! *wails on a power riff*

I just picked it up yesterday. I didn't get to bed until nearly 3am today. It's all making me nogastalic for Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure! Almost all the songs are since 2000 - which is about when I started my discovery into music. Even then, I don't recognize most of the songs on the game - so I might get some new favorites out of this!

My favorite song on the game is Steady as She Goes.... such an awesome song!

No comments:

Post a Comment